At Gallus Property we understand that a rented house or flat is more than that, it’s your home. We always like to give useful advice from our experience which helps our Tenants.

Prior to moving in we provide each Tenant a small welcome pack which includes details on how to operate the heating system, water isolation and a handy key ring with our QR code on it. We also provide a radiator bleeding key and small screwdrivers to make the move a little easier

We have a dedicated Property Manager assigned to each home and are always on the other end of the phone if needed

Contact Us

Tenants FAQ’s

Yes, you will be referenced. We require to conduct a credit check and normally request an employer and previous landlord reference (where one or both of these is not possible, if you were a homeowner or are self-employed, we may request references from other parties).

No, absolutely none whatsoever.

We recommend prospective tenancies for consideration to our landlords where the applicants can provide three years’ worth of address history and employment details. We would look for applicants to be permanently employed and meet the affordability criteria of their gross monthly income (combined if more than one tenant) meets at least 2.5 times the monthly rent. If this is not the case then the landlord may still proceed but expect to provide a UK based guarantor or pay a larger deposit of up to twice the monthly rent

We normally ask for a security deposit equivalent to 1 month’s rent + £100 unless it is agreed with the landlord to hold a larger amount (to be negotiated at the offer stage). This security deposit will be held by an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. Once we have your application and the landlord is happy for us to proceed with referencing you, we request a holding deposit from you (normally the full deposit amount) in order for us to remove the property from the market and commence credit checking and referencing

Since 2012, tenants’ deposits are no longer held by a letting agent or landlord but in a government approved third party scheme. Any deductions that might be made for cleaning, damages, excessive wear and tear or rent arrears need to be applied for from the scheme so that the tenant has the opportunity to argue their case if they disagree.

An inventory is an essential document which provides a written and photographic record of the property and it’s contents at the beginning of the tenancy. Our inventory contains details in full on all fixtures, fittings and contents of the property and it will be checked after the tenancy expires. You will have 7 days to check, make any comments and sign the inventory online after you move into the property.

We will provide a video walkthrough inventory along with a written report, you can view and sign these with online links for convenience.

Please set up the monthly payment so that it clears by the same date of the month that the tenancy agreement commences (you may need to set up your payment to come out of your account 2-3 days before your rent due to ensure it clears into our account on time). Contents Insurance – You are responsible for the insurance of your own contents and accidental damage to the landlord’s belongings. It is a requirement of your tenancy agreement that you MUST hold adequate contents insurance for the property. Telephone/Broadband/Television – You are responsible for obtaining a TV licence if you watch TV in the property. Utility Suppliers – You are responsible for informing suppliers ASAP with meter readings (see inventory for readings and suppliers) and your personal details. Council Tax – You are responsible for setting up and closing your council tax account.  Inventory – We recommend you taking photographs of the condition of your property when you enter. You should return the inventory, including notes of any defects, to us within 7 days.


Blockages must be first attended to by the tenant by using a strong drain cleaner and/or plunger. If this does not fix the problem, please contact our office. If it is found that recent debris i.e. foodstuffs or hygiene items are the cause, you may be charged for this call out.

Check no water is running (i.e. bath/shower/taps) and all appliances are switched off. Locate the stop cock (usually located under sink or by utility meters) and turn off any water supply.
Contact our office on 0141 212 0825 to report this issue. We also require this to be reported via email
Burst pipe/plumbing issue in the flat above that is damaging your property
Inform the upstairs neighbour and ask that they arrange for a plumber to attend as soon as possible, as the leak is likely to be coming from their property. If you cannot make contact with the neighbour and the water ingress is becoming excessive contact our office in the first instance and also contact Environmental Health who may send police to break into the property and turn off the water. This should only be done in an absolute emergency.
You must report any leaks to our office so we can arrange for an inspection of any damage.
In an emergency a plumber will merely turn off water at the mains and they will not source the problem.
Noisy Boiler or radiators that are not heating up or that have cold patches
The radiator may need to be bled. We will supply you with a radiator key to bleed the radiator- insert key to top end of radiator on triangular knob and turn slightly holding a cloth underneath- this will allow air to be released – Stop when water begins to drip – And close the valve again when finished.
Gas fired boiler is not working/pilot light has gone out –
Check that the gas supply is still working, are there still available funds on the pre-payment meter?
Please check the boiler on the inside panel as most boilers have instructions on how to reignite the pilot.
In most occasions you will have to press the reset button, keep this pressed for 10 seconds and the flame/ignition light should stay on. If this does not fix the problem, please contact our office.

Check that there are still available funds on the pre-payment meter. Check the consumer unit/fuse box in case a trip switch has tripped. If all switches are in the “On” position then we suggest that you check in case there is a power cut in your area by contacting “SP Energy” on 0800 092 9290 or checking online at Should you require further assistance please contact our office.

Mice can be a common problem within properties particular in older tenement blocks. Try and find out where they are accessing the property and block up the access point. Purchase some mice poison or traps and make sure that you keep your property clean and tidy. Please contact us if the problem persists and we can advise


An emergency situation is when the incident is dangerous, life-threatening or may result in personal injury or a public liability claim or serious deterioration of the property. If you have an emergency situation, for example, water coming through the ceiling, we will endeavour to help you immediately.

The landlord will only pay for contractors to attend to the property out of office hours in the event of emergencies. We deem an emergency to be placing tenants in danger or serious deterioration of the property. We expect our tenants to use common sense as to what is deemed an emergency.

Please note: If an emergency contractor attends unnecessarily you may be held liable for the costs involved. Please take the following actions before calling our emergency line.

Gas If you smell gas or suspect a leak of suspect fumes are escaping from an appliance, call the Gas Emergency Services immediately on 0800 111 999 (24 hours). Open windows and doors and if necessary vacate the property. Do not turn on an electrical appliances or switches.
Electrical Fault Check fuses have not blown, circuit breakers are in the ‘ON’ position and that there hasn’t been a general power cut in the area. If you have a power cut, check to see if your neighbours are affected too.
If your neighbours’ supply is still on – check your trip switch (if you have one). If it has tripped, switch off all your appliances then reset it
If your neighbours also have no power – call your local Electricity Network Operator’s 24 Hour Emergency Helpline. Scottish Power Energy Networks – 0800 092 9290 (landline) or 0330 1010 222 (mobile)

Heating & Hot Water The loss of heating and hot water is only deemed an emergency if the weather is extremely cold or you have a young baby in the property. If you think your boiler isn’t working properly, first check to see if the pilot light is on and, if you have a combination-boiler, check that the pressure is set between 1 and 2. The instruction manual will tell you how to re-light the pilot light and re-set the pressure if you suspect this is the problem. If you don’t have a manual to hand you can find these online by searching for the boiler make and model number.

Leaks For small leaks which can be caught in a container, please ensure that you put a bucket or similar container below the leak and remember to empty it regularly. Please then contact us. If you suffer a burst pipe or severe water leaking into the property you must firstly locate the stop cock and turn off the water. Mop up all surface water as quickly as possible to prevent damage. Call the emergency number and we will then arrange a plumber to attend as soon as possible. If water is coming from an upstairs property, alert the occupants above immediately and ask them to shut off the source of the leak.
If they are not in, leave them a note to contact you and call Environmental Health Department

For all other emergencies not listed above, please use common sense before calling. We will only respond to real emergencies that cannot wait until the next working day. For EMERGENCY gas-related, boiler-related and plumber-related issues contact our main line on 0141 212 0825 and our out of hours team will get in contact with our emergency tradesmen to attend ASAP